|The review? I loved the book! It is a fast read and full of witty wisdom that is told in parable-like fashion. Big pills are so much easier to swallow when they are slipped in through the disguise of a great story.
I’m going to share some things that I underlined in my copy (and that the person who owned it before me underlined too!) The book is The Noticer by Andy Andrews, published in 2009. Don’t use these things as “Clif Notes” for a book you should have read. Even a slow reader can finish this in a week or so. It took me (a rather fast reader) 3 days and my friend from church who is an even faster reader- 2 evenings.
Anyway- take these quotes, read them , let them soak in to your very soul, and then use them to become better than you are!
- Whatever you focus upon, increases.
- A grateful perspective brings happiness and abundance into a person’s life.
- Consider this: when we are happy and enthusiastic, other people enjoy being around us. . . . And knowing that one’s opportunities and encouragement come from people, what happens to a person everyone enjoys being around? They get more opportunities and encouragement. . .. A life filled with opportunities and encouragement finds more and more opportunities and encouragement, and success becomes inevitable. . . . . the opposite of this principle is true as well.
- It’s time to stop letting your history control your destiny.
- Worry. . . fear. . . is just a misuse of the creative imagination that has been placed in each of us. Because we are smart and creative, we imagine all the things that could happen, that might happen, that will happen if this or that happens.. . . . Smart people- like you-consistently misuse the creative imagination that has been placed inside them to scream, “fire!” where there isn’t even any smoke.. . . .you think the way you do because you’re smart. . . and. . . you have to defeat those thoughts with logic.
- 40% of the things you worry about will never occur anyway. 30% are things that have already happened. 12% have to do with needless imaginings about our health. 10% would be petty little-nothing worries about what other people think. 8% are legitimate concerns.
- Focus on what can be controlled. And you will no longer be sad or worried. You will be grateful! After all, the seeds of depression cannot take root in a grateful heart.
- Wisdom is the ability to see, into the future, the consequences of your choices in the present.
- There are generations yet unborn, whose very lives will be shifted and shaped by the moves you make and the actions youtake. . . tonight. And Tomorrow. And tomorrow night. And the next and the next. No matter your age, physical condition, financial situation, color, gender, emotional state, or belief. . . everything you do, every move you make, matters to all of us- and forever.
- If one makes a mistake, then an apology is usually sufficient to get things back on an even keel. However. . .. most people do not ever know why their apology did not seem to have any effect. It is simply that they did not make a mistake; they made a choice. . . and never understood the difference between the two.
- What is it about me that other people would change if they could?
Have I peeked your interest yet? Which of these quotes was the “big pill” you weren’t planning on swallowing?
Go read the book!!!
God is good- all the time. . . .