Okay, so I ended up reading Phillippians 4:1-9 but it started out with only 6 and 7. These are the verses that remind us to not worry about anything but to pray about everything and God will give us peace.
Don’t Worry, Be Happy!
Paul was still in prison when he wrote this letter to the people of Phillipi. Not onlly was he in prison but his whole ministry was under attack by people competing against him. He’d been in this ministry for 20 years and things seemed pretty bad and tiring on the outside. But the outside didn’t matter to Paul because he was filled with God’s joy on the inside!! His God-given joy was overflowing into his letter to the people in Phillipi, he was uplifting them like only God could have gotten him to do! Can you imagine feeling down on yourself because life is just getting too crappy? Everyone is bickering. Things just aren’t looking good. Then you receive a letter from a guy in prison who tells you not to worry, to be happy in Jesus??????? I tell you what I would either feel pretty bad or want to return the letter with a punch in the face to Paul for being so cheerful. . . . . . grrr. . . . .
Anyway, infectiously joyful Paul made the following points in these 9 verses:
- Stay true to the Lord
- People who love the Lord should settle their disagreements quickly.
- Always be full of joy and make sure others can’t help but notice.
- Be considerate in all you do.
- God is coming soon!
- Don’t worry about anything
- Pray for everything.
- Tell God all your needs
- Thank God
- God’s peace is more wonderful than humans can understand
- His peace will guard your heart and mind
- Keep your thoughts on what is true, honorable, and right.
- Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable.
- Think about things that are excellent worthy of praise.
- Keep putting into practice all the things Paul showed/taught by his example.
That’s a lot of information for 9 little verses! Paul didn’t include any fluff here, it’s like he was so full of joy that he just had to spit it out before he burst! Makes me think of the 13ish year old girls who can’t stop talking- it’s out of their control! Makes me smile!
Dear Heavenly Father- Thank you for showing me these verses today! What a great way to start the morning! My mind is swirling with VBS this and VBS that- help me to stay focused on you! Throughout the day, help me to have infectious joy! I want to have that! Help me to pray for everything! Help me to worry about nothing! Bring that peace that is more awesome than I can understand! With all my love and thanksgiving, Amen